Leave of Absence and Withdrawal

Leave of Absence

An official leave of absence is an approved, limited suspension of participation in an undergraduate program during the fall and/or spring semester. A leave allows students to take time off and return to the university without applying for readmission. Under ordinary circumstances, leaves will be granted for up to one calendar year. Students who fail to return (or obtain permission to extend their leave at the end of the approved term) and who later wish to return to the university, will be required to reapply for admission under the admission and degree requirements in effect at the later date.

Because students are not registered during a leave, they may not be eligible for the campus privileges for which a current ID card is necessary. Financial aid and international student visas are typically suspended for students on leave of absence. In addition, the leave may trigger the beginning of the loan repayment period for students with loan deferments.

A student who will not be registered at the university during a regular semester, but would like to return without applying for readmission, must request a leave of absence by the last day to enroll in classes for that semester. Students must file the official Undergraduate Student Leave of Absence form with the Center for Student Success located in the University Center, room 114. To incur no tuition charges, students should request a leave of absence before the first day of classes. The request must state the reason for which the leave is requested and the semester in which the student will again register at the university. Requests for leaves of absence must be approved by the Center for Student Success. Leaves of absence are granted for a maximum of two consecutive semesters.

Withdrawal from the University

A student withdrawing from the university during a semester or for a future semester must file an official Undergraduate Student Withdrawal Form with the Center for Student Success located in the University Center, room 114. Failure to do so before leaving the campus or, in the case of illness or other emergency, as soon as the decision not to continue has been made, will result in non-passing grades in all courses, thereby jeopardizing eligibility to re-enter USD or acceptance in another institution. After the last day to enroll in classes, and continuing through the end of the 10th week of the semester (the last day to withdraw from classes), students may process a withdrawal to drop all their classes with grades recorded as Ws. After the last day to withdraw from classes, the withdrawal will be effective at the end of the current term and will result in the posting of grades for the term. Students forced to discontinue enrollment after the withdrawal deadline due to a documented emergency may petition their respective dean for an exception to this policy; however, the petition must be filed prior to the last day of classes and is subject to review. International students must follow the same procedures and, in addition, obtain clearance from the Office of International Students and Scholars located in Serra Hall, Room 316.

A student whose registration at the university is interrupted for one or more semesters must apply for readmission though the Office of the Registrar, unless a leave of absence has been granted in writing.

Students Involuntarily Called to Military Duty: Active Reservists and DUI 

The University of San Diego supports and respects the obligations of students involuntarily called to active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States. USD will make reasonable accommodations for such students, and will endeavor to assist them to meet their military obligations without loss of academic status or opportunities.

A student active reservist involuntarily called   to active   duty in any branch of the military services of the United States while enrolled in the University, or a student assigned to Duty Under Instruction (DUI) who is called back to regular duty, will be released without penalty from academic responsibilities. The   student must present evidence   to his or her academic dean that he or she has been involuntarily called to active military  duty. The following options are available:

  1.  A student active   reservist involuntarily called to active duty may request to withdraw without penalty from all classes and receive a full refund of tuition and fees paid for class enrollment. Room and board refunds will be prorated. The dean’s official authorization of Withdrawal without penalty shall be forwarded to the Registrar, the Financial Aid Office, and Student Accounts. Students receiving financial aid will discuss their circumstances with the Financial Aid Office.
  2.  If a student is involuntarily called to active military duty near the end of a term, the student may initiate an action through the appropriate dean's office to request the teacher of record in all or some courses that the student be permitted to make special arrangements which are consonant with the policies of the student's academic unit (for example, an Incomplete grade, an early final examination, or other appropriate resolution.) Any such arrangement will include a written agreement of the special conditions, and be signed by the student and the teacher of record.
  3. Under option #1 or #2 above, the student may request a leave of absence from the University of San Diego. If the student remains on involuntary active duty, and so notifies the university, the extension of the leave of absence is automatic. For good cause, a requested extension of the leave of absence of reasonable length, beyond the active duty period, may be granted at the discretion of the dean.
  4. Where applicable, the student's transcript shall include a notation that a W or an I is based on "Involuntary Call Up to Military Duty."

This policy may be supplemented as needed in response to changes in the military situation, or to deal with individual circumstances not covered by the policy.